In this Evolution Cast episode Amelia and Ryan talk about how to make the most of your time stuck at home with GAMES! Read More
This is our 18th episode of Character Evolution Cast, and we’re here to talk about making your gaming experience better by adding MORE GAMES! Read More
In a follow up to episode 5, we revisit the concepts from actual play podcasts that you can bring to your home table.
On this final ReCast episode, we delve into the Character Evolution Cast backlog to pull out our interview with Jim McClure, host of the Talking Tabletop podcast, designer of Reflections and Satanic Panic and owner of Third Act Publishing to learn about how the theory of the 8 kinds of fun can help players hone in on their interests and communicate with their GMs for the best play experience.
Leave us reviews in any, or all, of these places:
Character Creation Cast on Apple Podcasts (The best place to leave reviews for us)
Character Creation Cast on Podchaser
Character Creation Cast on Stitcher
Character Creation Cast on Facebook
- Jim McClure
- 00:00:00 – Announcements
- 00:03:26 – Introductions
- 00:05:58 – The highest art form known to mankind
- 00:07:06 – Jim’s most satisfying project so far
- 00:10:24 – Jim’s favorite part of creating
- 00:12:16 – Did you think we weren’t going to talk about L5R???
- 00:18:09 – Jim’s types of fun
- 00:19:16 – What is “The 8 Kinds of Fun?”
- 00:23:35 – How can players use this theory to further their own experience?
- 00:25:31 – “My D&D looks nothing like yours”
- 00:28:18 – What if your game isn’t engaging your kind of fun?
- 00:30:54 – A description of each type of fun
- 00:31:31 – 1 Sensation
- 00:33:39 – 2 Fantasy
- 00:35:36 – 3 Narrative
- 00:42:21 – 4 Challenge
- 00:45:36 – It’s okay if that type isn’t your favorite!
- 00:48:05 – 5 Fellowship
- 00:50:28 – 6 Expression
- 00:52:28 – 7 Discovery
- 00:53:58 – Mountain Tuna!!!
- 00:56:26 – 8 Submission
- 01:02:57 – Ryan and Amelia speculate about their types of fun
- 01:06:45 – Player Examples
- 01:08:39 – Amelia can’t understand playing nice
- 01:12:33 – Ryan can’t understand why you wouldn’t
- 01:14:28 – How having these terms can change the conversation
- 01:16:29 – How to know what your type of fun is
- 01:18:47 – The 8 kinds of fun in character creation
- 01:21:57 – HAVE A SESSION ZERO
- 01:23:24 – Do RPGs do certain kinds of fun better?
- 01:25:11 – How can players bring in additional types?
- 01:30:49 – A little more advice…
- 01:34:33 – Amelia tells Jim what’s what
- 01:35:35 – Plugs
- 01:39:15 – Show Closer
- 01:40:22 – Network Plug: Design Doc
- Opening: Meditation Impromptu 03 (http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Kevin_MacLeod/Calming/Meditation_Impromptu_03) by Kevin MacLeod (http://incompetech.com)
- Clip 1: Short Mission (http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Tagirijus/Hard_2018/manuel_senfft_-_short_mission_1889) By Tagirijus (http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Tagirijus/)
- Clip 2: Hero (Remix) (http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Steve_Combs/Principal_Photography_1493/11_Hero_Remix) by Steve Combs (http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Steve_Combs/)
- Main Theme: Endless Motion (https://www.bensound.com/royalty-free-music/track/endless-motion-edm-electro) by Ben Sound (https://www.bensound.com/)
Character Creation Cast:
- Twitter: @CreationCast (https://twitter.com/CreationCast)
- Facebook: https://facebook.com/charactercreationcast/
- Discord: http://discord.charactercreationcast.com/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/creationcast/
- Podchaser: https://www.podchaser.com/CharacterCreationCast
- Twitter: @gingerreckoning (https://twitter.com/gingerreckoning)
- Website: https://ameliaantrim.wordpress.com/
- Garbage of the Five Rings podcast: (http://garbageofthefiverings.com/)
- G5R Twitter: @G5Rpodcast (https://twitter.com/G5Rpodcast)
- Twitter: @lordneptune (https://twitter.com/lordneptune)
- Website: https://lordneptune.com
- Chimera RPG: @ChimeraRPG (https://twitter.com/ChimeraRPG)
- Side Heroes: @SideHeroesPod (https://twitter.com/SideHeroesPod)
- Patreon: https://patreon.com/RyanBoelter
- Itch.io: https://lordneptune.itch.io
Character Evolution Cast E16 – Playing in Spooky Games with Christine Prevas [Unexplored Places Podcast]
In this episode of Character Evolution Cast, we welcome Christine Prevas of the Unexplored Places podcast to discuss bringing spookiness to your game!Read More
In today’s Character Evolution Cast episode, Amelia and Ryan Share their tips for making the most of your convention experience, from putting together your packing list to surviving con drop.
In today’s Character Evolution Cast episode, Marie-Claire Gould, host of the What The Force? Podcast and creator of the new Fan Girls audio drama podcast, sits down with Ryan to discuss artificial intelligence and how we can better play these types of characters at the table.
In today’s Character Evolution Cast episode, Victoria Rogers (The Broadswords DM) joins Ryan and guest co-host Marie-Claire Gould (What The Force? Host and Fan Girls Creator) to talk about the pros and cons of playing in an established setting.
In today’s Character Evolution Cast episode, we welcome Ben and Mel from Pod of Love to talk about how to add romance to our games. We have tips on how to handle PC to PC romance, PC to NPC romance, and much more!