Series 38.1 – Blue Planet: Recontact with Jeff Barber [Designer] (Creation)
April 5, 2021
Welcome to the first episode of Series 38! This series we welcome Jeff Barber back to the studio to cover the brand new version of a game we covered 32 series ago, Blue Planet: Recontact, a sci-fi game about life on an alien, ocean world. This episode we find out what this game is all about and start diving into the character creation process! Also, make sure to check the show notes for the Kickstarter page as well as the #Reviews4Good campaign that Podchaser is doing this whole month of April!
- Blue Planet: Recontact Kickstarter:
- Podchaser #Reviews4Good Campaign:
- Character Creation Cast Podchaser Page:
Leave us reviews in any, or all, of these places:
Character Creation Cast on Apple Podcasts (The best place to leave reviews for us)
Character Creation Cast on Podchaser
Character Creation Cast on Stitcher
Character Creation Cast on Facebook
Guests and Projects:
Jeff Barber @BiohazardJeff
Games discussed this episode:
Blue Planet: Recontact by Jeff Barber
- 00:00:00 – Announcements
- 00:02:54 – Introductions
- 00:06:53 – What’s in a game?
- 00:10:34 – What was the most surprising/interesting change?
- 00:13:23 – What sort of tools do we need to play this game?
- 00:13:54 – What kind of stories and themes does this game explore?
- 00:19:13 – What do characters do in this game?
- 00:24:33 – What is unique about Blue Planet?
- 00:25:49 – History of the system
- 00:32:23 – What is it like working on a new version of this game?
- 00:38:03 – Terms and Concepts
- 00:38:40 – Character Concept
- 00:40:07 – Power Levels
- 00:41:45 – Attributes and Focus Attributes
- 00:47:25 – Skill Sets
- 00:57:34 – Tags, Tracks and Ties
- 01:06:05 – Anything else we need to know before going into character creation?
- 01:07:28 – Let’s make some people!
- 01:08:23 – Campaign Concept and Character Concept
- 01:16:29 – Powerlevel
- 01:20:49 – Species
- 01:21:37 – Unmodified/Modified Humans
- 01:22:03 – Aquaforms
- 01:22:49 – Cognitive Synergists
- 01:25:00 – Hybrids
- 01:26:35 – Composites
- 01:27:08 – Spacers
- 01:27:33 – Survivor Mods
- 01:27:50 – Transhumans
- 01:28:49 – Cetaceans
- 01:34:20 – Choosing our species
- 01:40:50 – Call to Action
- 01:42:46 – Credits
- 01:44:41 – Show Blurb: One Shot
- Opening: Meditation Impromptu 03 (http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Kevin_MacLeod/Calming/Meditation_Impromptu_03) by Kevin MacLeod (http://incompetech.com)
- Clip 1: Diving In The Oceans Of Kepler by MusicLFiles
- Clip 2: Beyond The Known Space by MusicLFiles
- Main Theme: Hero (Remix) (http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Steve_Combs/Principal_Photography_1493/11_Hero_Remix) by Steve Combs (http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Steve_Combs/)
Character Creation Cast:
- Twitter: @CreationCast (https://twitter.com/CreationCast)
- Facebook: https://facebook.com/charactercreationcast/
- Discord: http://discord.charactercreationcast.com/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/creationcast/
- Podchaser: https://www.podchaser.com/CharacterCreationCast
- Twitter: @gingerreckoning (https://twitter.com/gingerreckoning)
- Website: https://ameliaantrim.wordpress.com/
- Garbage of the Five Rings podcast: (http://garbageofthefiverings.com/)
- G5R Twitter: @G5Rpodcast (https://twitter.com/G5Rpodcast)
- Twitter: @lordneptune (https://twitter.com/lordneptune)
- Website: https://lordneptune.com
- Twitch: https://twitch.tv/lordneptunerb
- Chimera RPG: @ChimeraRPG (https://twitter.com/ChimeraRPG)
- A Horror Borealis: @AHorrorBorealis (https://twitter.com/AHorrorBorealis)
- Patreon: https://patreon.com/RyanBoelter
- Itch.io: https://lordneptune.itch.io