This episode starts our 9th series! On today’s episode we will be talking with the creator of such games as Honey Heist, One Last Job, and the game we’ll be covering this series, Spire! That’s right, we have Grant Howitt in our virtual studio for some discussion about Spire before we start digging into character creation for this amazing game!
- Strata Kickstarter: Coming Soon!
- International Podcast Month
- Website: https://internationalpodcastmonth.com
- Podcast Feed: https://iamhear.simplecast.fm/
- Ryan’s All Outta Elder Signs episode: https://iamhear.simplecast.fm/84b53f18
- Ryan’s Side Heroes Audio Drama episode: https://iamhear.simplecast.fm/d63c6d62
- Ryan is a guest on Interference: https://iamhear.simplecast.fm/dcc0b4ba
- Ryan as a player in Victoria Roger’s D&D 5E episode: https://iamhear.simplecast.fm/4c85a8e2
- Ryan’s article on why he loves podcasts and podcasting: https://www.internationalpodcastmonth.com/blog/art-of-changing-livees
- Ryan reviews Fate and the Fablemaidens:
- Ryan reviews The Far Meridian:
- Polygon article where we were featured:
- James D’Amato’s The Ultimate RPG Character Backstory Guide:
- Amazon: https://amzn.to/2OpXvs0
- Character Creation Cast on Apple Podcasts (The best place to leave reviews for us)!
- Character Creation Cast on Stitcher
Guests and Projects:
Grant Howitt: @gshowitt (https://twitter.com/gshowitt)
- Website: https://rowanrookanddecard.com
- Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/gshowitt
- Old Website (Including articles about player advice): http://lookrobot.co.uk/games/
00:00:00 – Announcements
00:02:50 – Introductions
00:05:54 – What’s in a Game? – Spire’s Setting
00:07:59 – What did it take to get all of the little details into Spire?
00:12:03 – Amelia inspires Grant – Strata
00:16:17 – Spire SRD
00:17:39 – What materials do we need to play?
00:18:53 – What do your characters do in Spire?
00:20:41 – What is unique about Spire?
00:22:19 – History of the Spire’s development
00:30:02 – What terms and concepts do we need to know for character creation?
00:33:42 – Let’s Makes Some People! – Picking classes
00:37:33 – Filling in some boxes – Advances
00:39:32 – Grant breaks the rules – Durances
00:41:12 – Core Abilities – Grant
00:42:43 – What is Refresh?
00:44:34 – Core Abilities – Amelia
00:45:44 – Ryan’s Weapon Choice
00:46:00 – Grant’s Weapon Choice
00:46:27 – Core Abilities – Ryan
00:47:25 – Episode Closer
00:49:19 – Show Blurbs! (With special guest!)
Game systems and materials discussed in this episode:
Spire by Rowan, Rook and Decard
Other games by Grant:
Opening: Meditation Impromptu 03 (http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Kevin_MacLeod/Calming/Meditation_Impromptu_03) by Kevin MacLeod (http://incompetech.com)
Clip 1: Revolution Now (Instrumental) (http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Josh_Woodward/The_Simple_Life_Part_1/JoshWoodward-TSL-NoVox-105-RevolutionNow) by Josh Woodward (http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Josh_Woodward/)
Clip 2: Babylon Shall Fall (http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Simon_Mathewson/Some_dance_tracks/Babylon_Shall_Fall_1438) by Simon Mathewson (http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Simon_Mathewson/)
Character Creation Cast:
- Twitter: @CreationCast (https://twitter.com/CreationCast)
- Facebook: https://facebook.com/charactercreationcast/
- Discord: http://discord.charactercreationcast.com/
Amelia Antrim: @gingerreckoning (https://twitter.com/gingerreckoning)
Ryan Boelter: @lordneptune (https://twitter.com/lordneptune)
Our Website: http://www.charactercreationcast.com
Our Network: https://oneshotpodcast.com
Network Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/oneshotpodcast