Welcome to the final episode of Series 38! This series we welcome Jeff Barber back to the studio to cover the brand new version of a game we covered 32 series ago, Blue Planet: Recontact, a sci-fi game about life on an alien, ocean world. This episode we have some remarkable discussion about the character creation process as well as some very insightful design discussion! Also, make sure to check the show notes for the Blue Planet Kickstarter page as well as the #Reviews4Good campaign that Podchaser is doing this whole month of April! And don’t forget to stick around for the super sized outtakes!
- Blue Planet: Recontact Kickstarter:
- Podchaser #Reviews4Good Campaign:
- Character Creation Cast Podchaser Page:
Leave us reviews in any, or all, of these places:
Character Creation Cast on Apple Podcasts (The best place to leave reviews for us)
Character Creation Cast on Podchaser
Character Creation Cast on Stitcher
Character Creation Cast on Facebook
Guests and Projects:
Jeff Barber @BiohazardJeff
Games discussed this episode:
Blue Planet: Recontact by Jeff Barber
- 00:00:00 – Announcements
- 00:04:01 – Reintroductions and Characters
- 00:08:40 – D20 for your thoughts? – Where do your best design ideas come from?
- 00:12:16 – What do you look for in a system for character creation?
- 00:15:19 – How does character creation in this game stack up to other games, especially the original?
- 00:27:44 – How did the tracks come about?
- 00:30:27 – How does the process of character creation set expectations for play?
- 00:41:21 – Discussing the intention behind the design of the character sheets.
- 00:49:50 – Biggest flaws/best parts of character creation?
- 00:53:53 – Fanfic!
- 01:02:28 – Take it up a level! – How does a character level up?
- 01:09:42 – What sort of effect do these mechanics have on the narrative?
- 01:10:49 – Final thoughts and Kickstarter Details
- 01:13:50 – Episode Closer
- 01:14:44 – Call to Action
- 01:22:34 – Credits
- 01:24:29 – Show Blurbs – Session Zero
- 01:25:12 – Outtakes
- Opening: Meditation Impromptu 03 (http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Kevin_MacLeod/Calming/Meditation_Impromptu_03) by Kevin MacLeod (http://incompetech.com)
- Clip 1: Diving In The Oceans Of Kepler by MusicLFiles
- Clip 2: Beyond The Known Space by MusicLFiles
- Main Theme: Hero (Remix) (http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Steve_Combs/Principal_Photography_1493/11_Hero_Remix) by Steve Combs (http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Steve_Combs/)
Character Creation Cast:
- Twitter: @CreationCast (https://twitter.com/CreationCast)
- Facebook: https://facebook.com/charactercreationcast/
- Discord: http://discord.charactercreationcast.com/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/creationcast/
- Podchaser: https://www.podchaser.com/CharacterCreationCast
- Twitter: @gingerreckoning (https://twitter.com/gingerreckoning)
- Website: https://ameliaantrim.wordpress.com/
- Garbage of the Five Rings podcast: (http://garbageofthefiverings.com/)
- G5R Twitter: @G5Rpodcast (https://twitter.com/G5Rpodcast)
- Twitter: @lordneptune (https://twitter.com/lordneptune)
- Website: https://lordneptune.com
- Twitch: https://twitch.tv/lordneptunerb
- Chimera RPG: @ChimeraRPG (https://twitter.com/ChimeraRPG)
- A Horror Borealis: @AHorrorBorealis (https://twitter.com/AHorrorBorealis)
- Patreon: https://patreon.com/RyanBoelter
- Itch.io: https://lordneptune.itch.io