On this episode of Character Evolution Cast, we expand on last week’s Session Zero episode and talk about staying safe! Amelia and Ryan are alone again on this one, and dive deep into different tools and methods that you can use to keep yourself, and others, safe at the table.
- Strata Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gshowitt/strata-a-spire-rpg-sourcebook/description
- AcadeCon: http://www.acadecon.com
- Discord: https://discord.charactercreationcast.com
- Character Creation Cast on Apple Podcasts (The best place to leave reviews for us)!
- Character Creation Cast on Stitcher
- Character Creation Cast on Facebook
- The Official Character Creation Cast Session Zero Guide
00:00:00 – Announcements
00:04:24 – Intro
00:06:13 – What do we mean by safety?
00:07:00 – Safety applies in and out of game
00:07:25 – Topics that could be concerning
00:08:36 – Why is safety important?
00:10:32 – Have the tools available, even if you don’t use them
00:12:33 – Pretend stories can have real hurt
00:14:00 -Safety is about comfort
00:15:12 – Safety starts at session zero
00:15:45 – Example of a group discussion about the hard and soft no
00:17:09 – Going in without metagame knowledge
00:20:09 – Agreeing on no as a group
00:21:00 – COMMUNICATION COMMUNICATION COMMUNICATION
00:21:40 – Making sure your group buys in
00:22:19 – You can be the one that brings up safety!
00:22:55 – Addressing criticisms of safety tools
00:25:09 – Spreading safety tools
00:25:52 – We get to the meat and potatoes
00:26:13 – The X Card
00:26:53 – Ryan describes how to make an X Card
00:33:01 – Script Change by Brie Sheldon (Rewind, Fast Forward, Instant Replay, etc)
00:36:06 – Safety tools aren’t useful if they are abused
00:38:34 – Lines and Veils
00:42:12 – Support Flower (Shoutout to Senda and Phil)
00:43:08 – Active Consent
00:44:34 – Hand Signals
00:46:09 – Keeping in mind those who cannot use certain tools – Modifying tools
00:47:22 – Open door policy
00:49:58 – Checking in is important!
00:52:31 – What if you’re uncomfortable with people around the table?
00:55:23 – Don’t stick it out if you feel crappy!
00:57:09 – You deserve nothing but the best!
01:00:14 – Safety does not end when the game ends.
01:01:26 – Bleed
01:02:21 – After session debrief
01:11:26 – It is good to process things
01:12:01 – Post recording debrief
01:13:07 – Episode Closer
01:17:24 – One Shot Network blurb
- Lines and Veils (Fade to Black) (https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/30906/what-do-the-terms-lines-and-veils-mean)
- Stop/start/continue (Support Flower) (http://www.gamestogather.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/SupportFlower-A5-PrintJ.pdf)
- LARP Hand Signals discussed on Panda’s Talking Games (Link Soon)
Opening: Meditation Impromptu 03 (http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Kevin_MacLeod/Calming/Meditation_Impromptu_03) by Kevin MacLeod (http://incompetech.com)
Opening 2: We All Gonna Die! (http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Loyalty_Freak_Music/WITCHY_BATTY_SPOOKY_HALLOWEEN_IN_SEPTEMBER_/We_all_gonna_die_) by Loyalty Freak Music (http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Loyalty_Freak_Music/)
Opening 3: Hello Michael! (http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Loyalty_Freak_Music/WITCHY_BATTY_SPOOKY_HALLOWEEN_IN_SEPTEMBER_/Hello_Michael_) by Loyalty Freak Music (http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Loyalty_Freak_Music/)
Clip 1: Keep You Safe (Captive Portal Remix) (http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Fire_To_The_Stars/Fire_To_The_Stars_-_Keep_You_Safe_Captive_Portal_Remix/01_Fire_To_The_Stars_-_Keep_You_Safe_Captive_Portal_Remix) by Fire To The Stars (http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Fire_To_The_Stars/)
Character Creation Cast:
- Twitter: @CreationCast (https://twitter.com/CreationCast)
- Facebook: https://facebook.com/charactercreationcast/
- Discord: http://discord.charactercreationcast.com/
Amelia Antrim: @gingerreckoning (https://twitter.com/gingerreckoning)
Ryan Boelter: @lordneptune (https://twitter.com/lordneptune)
Our Website: http://www.charactercreationcast.com
Our Network: https://oneshotpodcast.com
Network Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/oneshotpodcast