Welcome to the first episode of series 52, everyone! This series, we welcome Kyle Decker to discuss his game, Under the Neighborhood, a game where you play out the curiously ordinary lives of characters in a world like you see in Hilda, Gravity Falls, The Owl House and other similar shows. This episode we learn about the game, create our world, and begin creating our amazingly mundane characters!
Character Creation Cast Patreon
- Hire Ryan for your Audio Cleanup/Dialogue Editing! Now 20% off to help with the loss of their cat:
- Help Ryan’s family out to cover costs for the loss of their cat, Tricksey:
- Alchemistresses Kickstarter
Leave us reviews in any, or all, of these places:
Character Creation Cast on Apple Podcasts (The best place to leave reviews for us)
Character Creation Cast on Podchaser
Character Creation Cast on Facebook
Guests and Projects:
Kyle Decker @Quest_Friends
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quest_Friends
- Website: https://www.questfriendspodcast.com/
- Itch.io: https://questfriends.itch.io
Games and Tools discussed this episode:
Under the Neighborhood by Kyle Decker
- 00:00:00 – Announcements
- 00:01:38 – Introductions
- 00:03:50 – What’s in a game? – Core Concept
- 00:07:25 – What sort of settings do you play with in Under the Neighborhood?
- 00:11:30 – What kind of themes does this game explore?
- 00:15:15 – What do characters do in this game, and what is unique about it?
- 00:19:41 – History of the game – When did development start for the game?
- 00:25:50 – Terms and concepts – PbtA terms and AP points and Stats
- 00:28:30 – Let’s make some people!
- 00:31:41 – Mundane World – When does it take place?
- 00:32:54 – Where does it take place?
- 00:33:36 – Magical World – What makes it different from the mundane?
- 00:35:08 – Where do the magical creatures come from?
- 00:35:49 – Are the people of the magical and mundane aware of each other?
- 00:36:46 – How do you travel between worlds?
- 00:37:12 – What is The Other?
- 00:37:22 – Recapping our results – What does it mean for our world?
- 00:56:27 – Let’s *really* make some people!
- 00:58:55 – Picking Playbooks
- 01:01:09 – Picking Loadouts – Stat spreads
- 01:08:43 – Call to Action
- 01:21:19 – Credits
- 01:23:13 – Show Blurbs – A Horror Borealis
- Opening: Meditation Impromptu 03 (http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Kevin_MacLeod/Calming/Meditation_Impromptu_03) by Kevin MacLeod (http://incompetech.com)
- Clip 1: Childplay by Sascha Ende®
- Clip 2: “Quest Friends! Hereafter Theme” by Miles Morkri: https://twitter.com/milesmorkri
- Main Theme: Hero (Remix) (http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Steve_Combs/Principal_Photography_1493/11_Hero_Remix) by Steve Combs (http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Steve_Combs/)
Character Creation Cast:
- Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/charactercreationcast
- Twitter: @CreationCast (https://twitter.com/CreationCast)
- Facebook: https://facebook.com/charactercreationcast/
- Discord: http://discord.charactercreationcast.com/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/creationcast/
- Podchaser: https://www.podchaser.com/CharacterCreationCast
- TikTok: https://tiktok.com/@charactercreationcast?lang=en
- Twitter: @gingerreckoning (https://twitter.com/gingerreckoning)
- Website: https://ameliaantrim.wordpress.com/
- Garbage of the Five Rings podcast: (http://garbageofthefiverings.com/)
- G5R Twitter: @G5Rpodcast (https://twitter.com/G5Rpodcast)
- Twitter: @lordneptune (https://twitter.com/lordneptune)
- Website: https://lordneptune.com
- Twitch: https://twitch.tv/lordneptunerb
- Chimera RPG: @ChimeraRPG (https://twitter.com/ChimeraRPG)
- A Horror Borealis: @AHorrorBorealis (https://twitter.com/AHorrorBorealis)
- Patreon: https://patreon.com/RyanBoelter
- Itch.io: https://lordneptune.itch.io